Safe Travels Elite vs. ChoiceAmerica
When looking for travel medical insurance options for your trip abroad, you’ll likely come across a multitude of plans that you’re considering. Safe Travels Elite and ChoiceAmerica are two limited coverage plans that offer similar coverage, however, have some differences in offered benefits.
Safe Travels Elite insurance and ChoiceAmerica insurance both offer travel medical coverage for individuals traveling to the USA. Both of these travel insurance plans provide limited coverage, which means that they offer a predetermined, fixed amount for covered expenses. To assist you in making a well-informed choice and selecting the travel medical insurance policy that better aligns with your travels and needs, see the comparison chart of Safe Travels Elite and ChoiceAmerica below.
- Administered by Trawick International
- Up to $100,000 policy maximum available for those under the age of 90
- Up to 364 days of coverage
- Covers COVID-19 like any other eligible medical condition if the virus was contracted after the policy effective date
- Policy maximum and deductible are per policy period
- Covers acute onset of pre-existing conditions for travelers ages 80 and up
- Up to $100,000 for an Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Coverage for U.S as well as internationally, including U.S.
- Coverage only in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada
- Coverage for border entry denial
- Coverage for loss of passport and essential travel documents
- Optional riders available for pre-existing conditions, adventure sports and dental & vision
- Covers COVID-19
- Covers Influenza Vaccination
- If no claims have been filed, policy can be canceled and refunded for a $20 cancellation fee
- Coverage up to $50,000 for emergency medical evacuation
- Not available in Maryland or New York
- Available up to age 79
COMMON EXCLUSIONS (What's not covered)
- Preventative care (immunizations, routine medical exams)
- Injuries incurred from certain extreme sports and hazardous activities
- Baggage loss coverage
- Trip interruption
BEWARE: Risk of Limited Plans
A limited coverage insurance plan may be attractive due to its lower cost. However, it is important to understand that limited coverage policies also bring more financial risk. Since the premiums and coverage are low, you’ll likely end up paying much more out of pocket. This is because limited coverage policies cover a set, predetermined amount for each benefit. You are responsible for any costs beyond the predetermined amount.
Example: If you have a limited coverage policy with a limit of $400 for ambulance services, which costs about $2,000, then you have to pay the difference – a liability of $1,600.