Why Do I Need Visitors Insurance Outside My Home Country?
Some travelers may question the value of visitors insurance and wonder why they should buy it: why buy visitors medical insurance if it isn’t mandatory in most countries or if the risk of a travel emergency happening is low? Just because you don’t have to buy travel health insurance doesn’t mean you should travel uninsured. Medical emergencies and other unforeseen events can occur at any time without notice, and you don’t want to deal with the effects of not having visitors insurance in such situations.
The Cost of Traveling Uninsured
Before you ask yourself “do I need travel medical insurance?” consider a couple potential travel situations and the consequences of those situations without travel health insurance.
- You slip and fall, breaking your ankle. The ambulance ride to the hospital and the treatment to heal your broken ankle comes with a medical bill of a few thousand dollars.
- You become extremely ill while on a cruise. An emergency medical evacuation can cost up to a few hundred thousand dollars.
These scenarios happen more often than you may think. Especially for senior travelers, there is a greater likelihood of a medical emergency occurring while traveling abroad. Fortunately, travel medical insurance covers these situations.
If a medical emergency does happen to you while abroad and you do not have visitors insurance, either you or your sponsors will be responsible for paying the medical bills. Substantial bills can cause a financial disaster, resulting in debt, bankruptcy, and poor credit. Although extreme, these situations are possible, which is why it is crucial to understand the importance of travel medical insurance.
What Visitors Insurance Covers
As mentioned above, visitors insurance can help protect you against certain travel losses and medical emergencies, but what does visitors insurance cover exactly? A few of the things that visitors health insurance covers include:
- Doctor and hospital visits for sudden illnesses and injuries
- Ambulance services
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Trip protection coverage (baggage loss, trip interruption, etc.)
These are only a few examples, but to learn more see what visitors insurance covers.
The Value of Visitors Insurance
Whether you're traveling abroad for leisure or business travel, visitors insurance protects all travelers against potential medical emergencies while abroad, saving you from huge medical bills.
Need Help Finding the Right Visitors Insurance?
We'll help you find the perfect Visitors Insurance for your specific needs.
- How to Choose the Best Visitors Insurance for Seniors Over 80
- 5 Mistakes That Will Get Your Visitors Insurance Claims Denied
- How Visitors Insurance Works at Pharmacies
- Calculating Trip Cost for a Visitors Insurance Quote